Thinking, Creating, And Leading In Unconventional Ways
In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, I interview Sarah Stein Greenberg. Sarah is the Executive Director of Stanford’s d.School & Author of Creative Acts for Curious People: How to Think, Create, and Lead in Unconventional Ways.
Ambiguity is a challenging concept to embrace, but doing so can unlock the creativity and innovation needed to make big changes. Humans are creative beings – but most of us need a bit of help to get unstuck from time to time.
In this episode, Sarah shares her experience working as the Executive Director of Stanford’s d.School and talks about how her new upcoming book can help people draw out their own creative abilities.
Questions I ask Sarah Stein Greenberg:
- [1:03] What is D school, who attends, and how is it different than a traditional degree program?
- [2:07] Is it a program inside of a degree or can anyone decide to enroll?
- [2:57] Do you find firms sending executives to D School to learn how to be more creative?
- [3:43] How would you unpack the word “creative”?
- [4:47] You’ve really curated a curriculum that’s being taught in the school – so are you giving away the secrets now in your book?
- [5:44] What role does leadership play in the book itself and in D school?
- [8:04] How do you get people to rethink their relationship with creativity if they tend to consider themselves not creative?
- [12:19] What role does making yourself uncomfortable play in this?
- [13:35] This past year definitely colored my work with all of the ambiguity and change brought into our everyday lives — I’m wondering if you experienced the same thing and to what level?
- [15:30] How related in your mind are the acts of design thinking and collaboration?
- [18:37] What do you tell people who maybe aren’t wired to stay curious?
- [20:30] Do you feel any external pressure to go to the coffee shop and order more creatively? Do you ever feel like there’s a bullseye on you if you’re not ‘being creative’?
- [22:10] Where can people find out more about your book and the work of D School?
More About Sarah Stein Greenberg:
- Her book: Creative Acts for Curious People: How to Think, Create, and Lead in Unconventional Ways
- d.School Books
More About The Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network:
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by the HubSpot Podcast Network.
7 Steps to Scale Your Consulting Practice Without Adding Overhead
The Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network has helped me to grow my business by over 40% in the last 12 months. ~ Michael Quinn - Michael Quinn Agency, Fargo, ND