Rethinking Innovation With A Simple 5-Step Framework
In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, I interview Carla Johnson. Carla is a world-renowned storyteller, speaker, and author of a new book called RE:Think Innovation: How the World’s Most Prolific Innovators Come Up with Great Ideas that Deliver Extraordinary Outcomes. Having lived, worked, and keynote on five continents, she’s partnered with top brands and conferences to train thousands of people on how to rethink the work that they do and the impact they can have.
People often think innovation isn’t sustainable or even attainable for everyone, so they make it much harder than it has to be. Consistently coming up with great ideas isn’t a talent one is born with or a skill that takes years to learn — there’s actually a framework you can apply. Today, there are so many opportunities for companies to innovate in even incremental ways which can ultimately lead to big, impactful changes.
In this episode, Carla Johnson and I discuss why we need to rethink what innovation is and a simple framework that guides people through the innovation process.
Questions I Ask Carla Johnson:
- [1:15] Can you give us your meaning of “innovation”?
- [4:01] How do you get people to think about the evolution of ideas or incremental steps that are innovations?
- [5:16] What are some of the major things that tend to get in the way of people’s ideas?
- [6:04] What do companies when the innovation is obvious, but the innovation may also cannibalize the business or the profit?
- [7:42] Is it time that we have an innovation department?
- [9:55] Can you talk about the innovation process and structure that you’ve created?
- [15:01] Can you dive into the idea of “citizen innovators” that you used in your book?
- [16:58] Where do you personally go to look for innovation?
- [18:57] What lessons can we learn from crisis and innovation?
More About Carla Johnson:
- Her book — RE:Think Innovation: How the World’s Most Prolific Innovators Come Up with Great Ideas that Deliver Extraordinary Outcomes
More About The Duct Tape Consultant Network:
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by Monday.com.
There are a lot of tools out there to help companies get work done. We recently switched over to a tool called Monday, and we love it. Monday is more than just a project management tool. You can use it in many ways to run your entire business, marketing, sales, task management, even recruiting, and certainly project management. Check it out yourself here.
7 Steps to Scale Your Consulting Practice Without Adding Overhead
The Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network has helped me to grow my business by over 40% in the last 12 months. ~ Michael Quinn - Michael Quinn Agency, Fargo, ND