How to Build a Business Around Referrals
On this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, I sit down with author, speaker, and real estate expert Michael J. Maher.
After writing his book, The Seven Levels of Communication: Go From Relationships to Referrals, based on his experiences in the real estate industry, he began to garner attention well beyond the bounds of the real estate industry.
Maher found that he was suddenly an in-demand speaker, being tapped to help everyone from entrepreneurs and CEOs to doctors and financial planners build up a business that’s formed around referrals.
Today on the podcast, Maher and I discuss the importance of creating a referral-based business, why it’s far more effective than focusing on the traditional sales cycle, and what you can do to start winning referrals for your business, no matter what field you’re in.
Questions I ask Michael J. Maher:
- Are there things business owners should do, beyond providing satisfactory service, to ensure that they get referrals?
- What if your business is in an industry (like, say, mental health care) where your clients might hesitate to openly refer others?
- What if your business doesn’t have anything to give right now; you just really need to get more business?
What you’ll learn if you give a listen:
- Why the referral cycle is preferable to the traditional sales cycle.
- What a “talk about” is, and why you need to create them for your business.
- What the seven Ts of generosity are and what they have to do with generating referral business.
Key takeaways from the episode and more about Michael J. Maher:
- Learn more about Michael J. Maher
- Order your copy of The Seven Levels of Communication: Go From Relationships to Referrals
- Follow on Twitter
- Follow on Facebook
- Subscribe on YouTube
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by Klaviyo. If you’re looking to grow your business there is only one way: by building real, quality customer relationships. That’s where Klaviyo comes in.
Klaviyo helps you build meaningful relationships by listening and understanding cues from your customers, allowing you to easily turn that information into valuable marketing messages.
What’s their secret? Tune into Klaviyo’s Beyond Black Friday docu-series to find out and unlock marketing strategies you can use to keep momentum going year-round. Just head on over to klaviyo.com/beyondbf.
7 Steps to Scale Your Consulting Practice Without Adding Overhead
"This training from Duct Tape Marketing has exceeded my expectations and I couldn't be happier" ~ Brooke Patterson, VanderMedia