In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, I interview Vanessa Van Edwards. Vanessa is the Lead Investigator at Science of People. She is the bestselling author of Captivate: The Science of Succeeding with People, translated into 16 languages. More than 50 million people watch her engaging YouTube tutorials and TEDx Talk. She also has a new book — Cues: Master the Secret Language of Charismatic Communication.
Why do some captivate a room, while others have trouble managing a small meeting? What makes some ideas spread, while other good ones fall by the wayside? If you have ever been interrupted in meetings, overlooked for career opportunities, or had your ideas ignored, your cues may be the problem – and the solution.
In this episode, I’m interviewing best-selling author and Lead Investigator at the Science of People, Vanessa Van Edwards, about how to convey power, trust, leadership, likeability, and charisma within the interactions you have with people. We talk about her newest book — Cues: Master the Secret Language of Charismatic Communication.
Questions I ask Vanessa Van Edwards:
- [1:28] How many shots did it take to get the perfect look you were after on your book cover?
- [3:02] What are cues?
- [6:48]How can we be intentional if we’re not aware?
- [8:54] What are 3 or 4 negative cues that people might be doing that they should work on?
- [12:43] Do people send fake social cues and if so, what does that look like?
- [15:27] Would you talk a little bit about receiving cues?
- [17:09] Many of us have experienced an interaction that left us with a feeling of distrust towards someone – would you say they were sending all of those cues and we were subconsciously picking them up?
- [19:02] What has the virtual presentation done to both exhibiting and reading cues?
- [21:49] How is charisma sort of the bow on all of this?
- [23:05] I had years ago had Stephen Covey on the show. And of course, everybody knows the wrote The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. He wrote a follow-up book called The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Families. At the time of the interview, he wished he hadn’t written it because he now can’t go out in public with his children because he was being judged. Are you starting to feel like there’s a bit of a cue target on you?
- [24:46] Where would you invite people to follow you and find out about some of the other things you’re up to?
- [25:22] I’ve noticed you’ve been using a photo recently where it appears that both of your hands are like pushing your hair back. Is that an intentional cue?
More About Vanessa Van Edwards:
- Vanessa’s YouTube channel
- Her new book — Cues: Master the Secret Language of Charismatic Communication
- More about Science Of People
More About Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network:
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
Sign up to receive email updates
Enter your name and email address below and I'll send you periodic updates about the podcast.
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by the HubSpot Podcast Network.
HubSpot Podcast Network is the audio destination for business professionals who seek the best education and inspiration on how to grow a business.