Fighting Unconscious Bias in Your Organization
My guest for this week’s episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is Dolly Chugh. Chugh is a psychologist and associate professor of management and organizations at the Stern School of Business at NYU. She’s also the author of the forthcoming book The Person You Mean to Be: How Good People Fight Bias.
Chugh writes a monthly column for Forbes.com on gender, race, diversity, inclusion and bias, and has contributed to more than 20 academic and managerial publications including the Harvard Business Review, Psychological Science, Social Justice Research, and The American Economic Review. Her research has also been featured on numerous media outlets including National Public Radio, The Washington Post, The New York Times, and The Economist.
In this episode, we unpack the ways in which unconscious bias may get in the way of good people living their lives and running their businesses as fairly and equitably as they’d like.
Questions I ask Dolly Chugh:
- What do you mean when you say “being the person you mean to be”?
- How can I, as the leader of a company, make fighting bias and promoting diversity a priority?
- How much does a lack of exposure to diversity contribute to unconscious bias?
What you’ll learn if you give a listen:
- How you can be a vulnerable leader and be willing to admit that you’re learning and working to correct your own unconscious bias
- How running better meetings can help you combat bias within your organization
- How you can be an activist, with a little “a,” in your everyday life
Key takeaways from the episode and more about Dolly Chugh:
- Learn more about Dolly Chugh
- Pre-order The Person You Mean to Be
- Follow on Facebook
- Follow on Twitter
- Connect on LinkedIn
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by Gusto! Payroll and benefits are hard. Especially when you’re a small business. Gusto is making payroll, benefits, and HR easy for modern small businesses. You no longer have to be a big company to get great technology, great benefits, and great service to take care of your team.
To help support the show, Gusto is offering our listeners an exclusive, limited-time deal. Sign up today, and you’ll get 3 months free once you run your first payroll. Just go to Gusto.com/TAPE.
7 Steps to Scale Your Consulting Practice Without Adding Overhead
The Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network has helped me to grow my business by over 40% in the last 12 months. ~ Michael Quinn - Michael Quinn Agency, Fargo, ND