But What Do I Write On My Business Blog?
Man, do I get tired of the question posed in the title of this post.
Creating content has always been a good idea, if you’ve got a business, at least one that wants and needs customers, then you need to create lots of relevant content – a blog just happens to make the process a whole lot easier. So, stop thinking about it so much and start writing.
Write what? – everything that happens to you is content if you let it be.
Everything you think, say, read, see, smell, taste, hear, encounter – it’s all there waiting for you to turn into something useful for your business. All you have to do is apply it. Life practically vomits content fully at your feet if you just pay attention. Yeah but, yeah but, yeah but, – stop whining and start paying attention with this new radar and watch what happens to your brain.
It’s not enough to sit down in front of a computer and think – what should I write today, that’s why you’re stuck, it’s just too hard to create from scratch like that. You’ve got to start actively taking mental notes all day long. (I carry a pocket moleskin notebook, like the one pictured here, everywhere I go)
- Do this and all of sudden you will find that you can:
- Turn something you overhear on the bus into a lesson your readers can relate to.
- Fully explore the answers to questions your prospects pose over and over again
- Tell the story you read on another blog and make it fit a solution you provide
- Tell your readers all about the conference you attended
- Paraphrase the lyrics of song you heard on the drive home to drive home a point
- Share the moments of truth you discovered reading a new book
- Introduce visitors to a symphony that’s just right for the office
When you begin to look at content creation in this way you will start to filter much of what happens all around you in ways that matter to your clients and prospects – team that with getting your filtered thoughts down on a blog routinely and you’ll be amazed at how many ways you grow personally and professionally.
7 Steps to Scale Your Consulting Practice Without Adding Overhead
"This training from Duct Tape Marketing has exceeded my expectations and I couldn't be happier" ~ Brooke Patterson, VanderMedia