Buzz is all around us and as hot a marketing topic as there is going, but for a recent episode of the Duct Tape Marketing podcast I caught up with Emanuel Rosen author of the national bestseller The Anatomy of Buzz (Doubleday, 2000) and â€œThe Anof Buzz Ratomy evisited (Doubleday, 2009).
Rosen’s first book was a favorite of mine before it was cool to acknowledge the power of word of mouth buzz and most everything that’s been written since can cite him as an influence.
Prior to writing these books, he was VP Marketing at Niles Software where he was responsible for launching and marketing the companyâ€™s flagship product EndNote which spread to a large extent by word of mouth.
Rosen uses a great deal of research to support his positions and one of my favorite little factoids taken from his research is the finding that 30% of negative buzz comes from people who have never owned or used a product or service. Well, that certainly helps make the case for why you better focus on making some good noise.
- In this podcast we discuss:
- Just what the heck “Buzz” marketing is
- How to find the “Buzz” to your business
- How to balance and integrate “Buzz”
- How to measure word-of-mouth marketing
- And the ethics of word-of-mouth marketing
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by iLinc – Web and Video Conferencing that’s easy to use, affordable and powerful enough to make your online meetings really come alive.
Related articles by Zemanta
- The State of Buzz (and Word of Mouth) in 2009 (chrisabraham.com)
- Creating a World Wide Rave (marketing.blogtanker.com)
- Michael Port on Make a Referral Week (marketing.blogtanker.com)
- Talking Word of Mouth with Andy Sernovitz (ducttapemarketing.com)