Driving Innovation with Business Testing
Today on the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast I visit with business theorist, author, and speaker Alex Osterwalder.
Every business wants to be innovative, but smart innovative ideas can’t be pulled out of the ether. Business testing is at the heart of developing new strategies that address customer needs and drive your business forward.
Osterwalder has written a series of books about business modeling and has created his own business modeling system, the Business Model Canvas.
He stops by to talk about his latest book Testing Business Ideas. Before he writes any book, he starts by thinking deeply about the need in the marketplace—there are an awful lot of business books out there! With each of the books, he strives to fill a void in the space and provide a fresh perspective.
Testing Business Ideas is linked up with tools and processes around business modeling; how can we professionalize the testing space by creating a library of experiments that any business owner can use? He also discusses his upcoming book The Invincible Company, which is targeted at senior leadership.
Questions I ask Alex Osterwalder:
- Your latest book is part three in a series. Did you plan the entire series from the start; do the books build on each other?
- The visual format of your book series is unique. Is that something you tested?
- How do you advise people on customer discovery testing in an uncertain environment?
What you’ll learn if you give a listen:
- How to strike the right balance in your scientific approach to answering business questions.
- What innovation theatre is, and why it’s problematic.
- The biggest traps that businesses fall into when it comes to testing.
Key takeaways from the episode and more about Alex Osterwalder:
- Learn more about Alex Osterwalder
- Learn more about Strategizer
- Order your copy of Testing Business Ideas
- Pre-order your copy of The Invincible Company
- Follow on Twitter
- Connect on LinkedIn
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by Gusto. Everyone loves payday, but loving a payroll provider? That’s a little weird. Still, small businesses across the country love running payroll with Gusto.
Gusto is making payroll, benefits, and HR easy for modern small businesses. You no longer have to be a big company to get great technology, great benefits, and great service to take care of your team.
To help support the show, Gusto is offering our listeners an exclusive, limited-time deal. Sign up today, and you’ll get 3 months free once you run your first payroll. Just go to Gusto.com/TAPE.
7 Steps to Scale Your Consulting Practice Without Adding Overhead
The Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network has helped me to grow my business by over 40% in the last 12 months. ~ Michael Quinn - Michael Quinn Agency, Fargo, ND