What Will A Blog Do For My Business?
I get this question several times a week these days so I thought I would address it here.
The answer to this question is part advice, part marketing 101 soapbox speech.
So, what will a blog do for your business?
In most cases, little to nothing.
Now, before you fire off an email to ask if I’ve gone crazy, read on.
Most business folks will approach blogging like they approach every other form of marketing. Put up a blog, make a few entries and wonder why it didn’t work.
Blogs are not THE marketing tool, they are simply another marketing tool, but a very powerful one if used correctly.
Using a blog correctly for most small businesses means these things at a minimum
- Post almost daily – keep at it for months
- Answer the questions your clients ask you in your posts
- Promote the heck out of your blog online and offline
- Build a network of users and connectors around your blog
- Read and participate in other blogs almost daily
- Integrate your blog into your web site, ezine and marketing materials
- Update the non-post elements of your blog frequently
If you’ve read this far then maybe you have come to the conclusion that a blog can be a powerful part of your marketing mix and know that I unflinchingly recommend a blog for every business but, like all marketing strategies, unless you commit to using it long term to build momentum, it will be just another distraction.