How To Use Business Storytelling To Captivate Any Audience
In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, I interview Janine Kurnoff. Janine is the co-founder of The Presentation Co and co-author of Everyday Business Storytelling: Create, Simplify, and Adapt A Visual Narrative for Any Audience 1st Edition.
We’re living in a really noisy time where we’re constantly marketed to. Storytelling helps us break through the noise, and it helps us be heard in an authentic way — because in order to craft a narrative, you really have to walk in your audience’s shoes.
Business storytelling is this idea of taking the concepts of classic storytelling and then helping those of us in the business world make it practical and relevant. Janine Kurnoff has developed a simple, repeatable framework to help you turn your ideas and insights into an authentic, persuasive story. In this episode, Janine Kurnoff and I dive further into how to develop compelling business narratives.
Questions I Ask Janine Kurnoff:
- [1:30] Why are all marketers telling us to tell stories?
- [2:57] You have a very scientific, brain-driven framework for storytelling – can you unpack that a little bit?
- [4:21] Out of the four signposts of a good story (settings, characters, conflict, and resolution) what are the ones people screw up the most?
- [5:32] Can you give me an example of setting, character, and conflict?
- [7:26] What role does the storyteller play?
- [9:17] Do you always need conflict and do you have to create conflict when it doesn’t exist?
- [12:13] When you’re giving people advice on what they should and shouldn’t do in their slide decks, what are the five things they should never do?
- [14:20] Is there a difference in how presentations should be done depending upon the audience size or location (Zoom or in-person)?
- [19:55] Where can people find out more about your work and your book?
More About Janine Kurnoff:
- Her book: Everyday Business Storytelling: Create, Simplify, and Adapt A Visual Narrative for Any Audience 1st Edition
More About The Certified Marketing Manager Program Powered By Duct Tape Marketing:
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by Fiverr Business.
Fiverr Business connects your team with expert freelancers and provides a powerful workspace to manage all your projects and budgets more efficiently. You get access to a curated catalog of top outsourced talent in 500+ categories – already vetted for quality and experience. You can create projects, approve budgets, and manage your freelancing activity in one workspace.
They help you succeed by providing you with designated Business Success Managers to help all your accounts match the right talent for every task and make the most of each tool for success while providing priority customer support. Sign-up for Fiverr Business for free.