Create and Market Work That Lasts
For a creative work to last it must be the right work – but it must also be promoted in the right way. Few people have figured this fine art out like my guest today.
My guest for this week’s episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is Ryan Holiday. He is a writer, media strategist and author of numerous books including Perennial Seller: The Art of Making and Marketing Work That Lasts. He and I discuss why the majority of revenue is often from content that is over a year old, and how to make that content.
Holiday dropped out of college at nineteen to apprentice under Robert Greene, author of The 48 Laws of Power, and later served as the director of marketing for American Apparel. His company, Brass Check, has advised clients like Google, TASER, and Complex, as well as many prominent best-selling authors. Holiday has written four previous books, most recently The Obstacle Is the Way, which has been translated into seventeen languages and has a cult following among NFL coaches, world-class athletes, TV personalities, political leaders, and others around the world.
Questions I ask Ryan Holiday:
- What is a perennial seller?
- Is there a certain approach or process you take to creating perennial content?
- Is it possible to write a perennial seller around trending topics such as social media?
What you’ll learn if you give a listen:
- Why even amazing content doesn’t always last
- What the four steps are to creating a perennial seller
- How the perennial seller concept can apply to more than just content
Key takeaways from the episode and more about Ryan Holiday:
- Learn more about Ryan Holiday.
- Read Perennial Seller: The Art of Making and Marketing Work That Lasts.
- Take a look at Holiday’s Reading List.
- Find out what Jantsch and Holiday were referring to at the end of the show in this Google Hangout.
- Follow on Twitter.
- Connect on Facebook.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
Are you in need of WordPress support? If so, I highly recommend using WP Fix It. They provide 24/7 instant WordPress Support and now have a plugin that allows them to access your WP install while you’re in it. It’s pretty convenient! Be sure to check them out.
Are you an independent marketing consultant or an agency owner? If so, you may want to check out the Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network. It is a growing group of independent marketing consultants and agencies that are partnering and collaborating using the Duct Tape Marketing tools, and really scaling their businesses. Check it out at ducttapemarketingconsultant.com.