Surprise Your Clients Once In A While
Most everyone loves surprises. That’s what wrapping paper is all about. Unveiling the unknown and fully appreciating the unexpected.
Every now and then it’s fun to throw a surprise at your clients and customers as well.
Here’s one of my favorite techniques.
When a customer orders a product or engages your services, toss in something extra. You don’t need to make a big deal of it but do it systematcially and don’t advertise it. This is one of the easiest ways to over deliver on expectations.
So, let’s see:
- When they ask you to prepare their taxes – give them a handy record keeping system
- When they order your ebook – send them a copy of your favorite current best seller from Amazon
- When they hire you to design a web site – create a blog of the same design
- When they hire you remodel their kitchen – get their windows cleaned
- When they hire you to install a ceiling fan – change the batteries in their smoke detectors
It’s a good practice to make it a surprise (maybe even wrap it like a present) so that it is considered over and above what was expected.
It’s amazing how most of life, and certainly most of customer service, is about exceeding or at least meeting expectations.
When you make this unexpected gift to your client, you create a great opportunity to communicate the value of all of the services you provide, including this add on.
Do it on the first order or do it randomly – just do it