Okay, actually not so stupid really. I was asked to participate on a panel on the subject of RSS for business at next year’s South by Southwest Interactive Conference (SXSW) held in Austin, TX in March. If you get the chance to make it, this is a great gig. It runs side by side with the SXSW Music Festival.
I thought I would demonstrate some of my mad RSS skills as a tune-up and to show you how easy it is to mash together a few free services to create, aggregate and filter content.
Blog Mentions of Duct Tape Marketing
- (a real time display of all the blogger mentioning my book in pre-order status)
- Search technorati.com and other blog search engines for mentions
- Tag each mention with del.icio.us book marketing using a tag like DTMbook
- Grab feed that del.icio.us automatically produces.
- Just for fun, take feed to Feedburner and burn the feed
- Set-up and republish the feed using Feedburner’s Buzz Boost Option
- Take code to any web and display dynamic real-time update (some CSS styling can help here)
- Sit back and look cool – see the feed displayed in the right sidebar here
All of the above was accomplished with free services too! Can you think of some ways you might use this tactic?